Active 1853 – 1883 died
South Street, St Andrews, c.1860
Rodger worked as a chemistry assistant to Dr. John Adamson at the University of St Andrews, becoming a master of calotype photography. He then spent two years in Glasgow studying medicine.
In 1849, when he was just 16, Adamson persuaded him to drop the medicine and open the first photographic studio in St Andrews (now home to the University Careers Office). Mentored by Brewster and Adamson, with their wide social contacts, success was assured.
He presented his work at nearly all the early photographic exhibitions, commencing with a medal at the Aberdeen Mechanics Institute in 1853 for his calotype portraits and landscapes. He was regarded as one of the best portraitists in Scotland. He was not a prolific stereo-photographer, but did take several early stereoviews of the local area.